Saturday, February 04, 2006

The electricians are coming!

I never thought I'd be so happy to part with 2 grand.

My house has a guesthouse attached at the back which I rent out. It's been vacant since June, when I booted out the tenant for almost completely totalling the place. If it was a car it would have been totalled by the insurance company. Here are some pictures -guesthouse.

Since then I've been slowly remodeling it. It needs to be rewired to add a new stove, an air conditioning unit, and just in general, to keep the breaker from kicking when anyone has the audacity to turn on a blow dryer while they are running the space heater. It needs new plumbing, a new floor, new drywall in 3 rooms (including the ceiling - it takes effort to wreck a ceiling!), new bathtub/shower/toilet, new kitchen cabinets and appliances, and a new door. It's amazing how much damage one person can do.

Everything came to a standstill in September when I found out how hard it was to find and keep an electrician. The first one took 2 weeks to show up, 3 weeks to call back, and 2 more to let me know he couldn't do it - too big a job. I asked everyone I know if they knew any good/available electricians. Finally, I found a pair who showed up when they said they would, and called when they promised.

Problem is they have a waiting list. I have been waiting since November. It's ok though. Because now I'm just waiting for the work and not the phone call.

No comments: