Thursday, February 23, 2006

Dear Bruce

I'm sorry - I have to say it: we're finished.

Sure, we've been through rough times before. There was that bad period in 91-92 with that other band. Shudder. And let's face it, one or two good songs every 3 years since is not enough to sustain a quality relationship. But I've been patient - after all, we had such a solid history.

But it's official - you are releasing an album composed solely of Pete Seeger cover tunes. I understand that you have respect for the man, and have been yearning to do something different. That doesn't mean I have to accept it. Why not just include a couple covers during a real tour - go ahead and yell Bring 'em home at the end if you want - but please don't venture down this most self-indulgent of paths.

Last year's tour was hard enough to tolerate. Charging full price admission for a solo tour to hear you perform a bunch of outtakes from the Nebraska album was not a way to guarantee our future. Sure, there were still some high points - I know you could still pull it off if you wanted to. But I guess yelling at the crowd to shut the f*%# up was a preview of more puzzling decisions to follow.

I will remember the good times. Hell, I have the videos. Nothing will top that Europe trip in 2003 - we'll always have Paris. And I will never forget when we first met. August, 1978 - you were so unbelievably funny and charming and talented, you just knocked me off my feet. I thought it would last forever.

Trust me, I've been thinking this over for 2 years. I am sure there is no future. 25 years is a good run. Don't be sad.

Cynthia

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're breaking up with him!?!? Well, like you said there are still the videos of the good times. I hear you are having a "thing" with Bono...

Me said...

Yes, I'm a one-man woman. And Bono - he requires a ton of attention, surprising as that may be.

Lara said...

This day will go down in history. And thankfully, now that you blog, it is documented.

Anonymous said...

There will still be the fling in a year or so... that little get back together time.

Me said...

jeez Dave. you really think so? I will have to wear ear plugs.