Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Stats and a List

I really want to blog about why certain companies don't celebrate Martin Luther King Jr Day in Arizona. Did you know that Super Bowl XXVII was originally scheduled to be played at Sun Devil Stadium but that the NFL yanked it because our illustrious then-governor Evan Mecham had rescinded the holiday? Yup. It didn't pass as a holiday here until - check it - 1992 - even though the majority of states had passed it in 1986.

So now it's a holiday. But is it really a holiday when we are still required to work? But I'm not going to blog about that because I am trying to learn not to bite the hand that feeds me. However shaky that hand is.

And another thing people are writing to me about today is the Time magazine article about the majority of women being unmarried. I have a lot of issues about this reportage, and want to blog about it, but because most people realize that these are government stats, are all self-reported, and are massaged according to the mood of the analyst that day, I won't bother. And are we ever going to evolve in this country to a point where we don't categorize people? Like I said, another time, another blog.

What I really feel like doing is making a list of my favorite songs released in 2006. So here we go. No particular order, b/c obsessions depend on the day.

Oh Mary Don't You Weep - Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band
This River is Wild - The Killers
When You Were Young - The Killers
Doesn't Remind Me - Audioslave
Worldwide Suicide - Pearl Jam
Steady as She Goes - The Raconteurs
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tell Me Baby - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Something by Gomez - can't remember the name (helpful huh)
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
Chicago - Sufjan Stevens

Perhaps Muse and Stevens came out in 2005. Oh well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would like to hear the Bruce version of "Oh Mary..." I really love the Take 6 version of this tune.