Saturday, January 13, 2007

A common cultural currency (click here)

This was just posted on my David Foster Wallace list - it's a list put together by Roger Ebert last year, of the 100 movies one should have seen [in his words] "to have any sort of informed discussion about movies. They're the common cultural currency of our time, the basic cinematic texts that everyone should know, at minimum, to be somewhat "movie-literate." I hope these movies are experiences we can all assume we share."

Now, I haven't bothered with a Roger Ebert review in a long time b/c I think he has grown more conservative and more enamored of mainstream blech as he has aged. But I am curious to know what people think of a list that someone else has put together to let you know what you need to see in order to discuss movies intelligently. I don't doubt that film is a common cultural currency, I just feel somewhat hinky about having an OWG (old white guy) tell me what I need to be seeing to participate in that cultural conversation.

And if you're sensing sarcasm you're right. On the other hand, he has the movies on that list that have most informed my sensibilities, and ones that I think are better than any. On the OTHER OTHER hand, E.T.? Halloween? So you see the problem.

So 2 questions: 1. Can someone else, esp an OWG form a list like this and claim to set a standard and 2. How many do you have to go???

No wait - 3. - What's missing from this list???

OK, I have seen 71 of them. There are some I know I "should" see but not b/c Ebert told me to. That's for another post.

9 comments:

Me said...

OH you're missing something alright. ;-)

[props for "puerile" jam]

Me said...

So far I think the list is falling way short by not including the Kieslowski trilogy, or even RED. Decalogue can't count b/c it was a tv show first. ;-)

Me said...

excellent... can't wait....

Unknown said...

I have seen 57 of the films on this list. Of course there are many films missing - but lists are inherently personal, so what he thinks I should see before...is going to be different then what I think that e should see before...

Where is my favorite film of all-time - The Women? Also, I think that there should be more musicals on the list and maybe at least one blaxplotation film for the sheer cultural interest! Finally - The Matrix should be on the list.

Me said...

Definitely a blaxploitation and yes to the matrix - I think there was one that would capture the Women category but I can't find it right now.

And the blaxploitation flick (I would pick Foxy Brown myself) AND Matrix would be ones that he would inevitably leave out b/c of his OWG status. How could he see ET as worthy of inclusion for some not immediately obvious category but leave out the Matrix? If I cared to talk to him I would ask that but really, who wants to talk to him. Not me.

Ludski said...

28 or 27 or something - i lost count a few times. but come on. No mel brooks? Blazing Saddles?
WTF.

Lara said...

I am the least cultured of all uh youz, having only seen 17. These kinds of lists are just prime debate material as they are personal and an opportunity to exert some supposed authority. There are a number of reasons why a film would make anyone's list, Ebert included.

Did I read the link right that it's not even his final list? It's edited by someone else?

Oh and my vote is for Booty Call.

theliar said...

If the list had been written by Spike Lee or Maya Angelou, would you consider it more valid than if written by Roger Ebert? Any list of this sort is going to be subject to the same complaints because it's not written by society, but by a single person. And it wasn't written by OWGs in general, either -- it was written by Roger Ebert. At least he knows movies. It could be a lot worse.

If you want a list that you will agree with completely, write your own. Otherwise, you're going to have problems with everyone's list.

Me said...

Yeah, liar, I know. I don't like writing lists.