Monday, January 08, 2007

Ring tones (click on link for abstract)


I stumbled across this essay on ring tones, which starts off with an abstract, b/c this person is seriously studying ring tones as a cultural phenomenon. It's pretty fun actually. But what I want to know is, what ring tones do your co-workers use? Do you have phone etiquette at work?

Where I work there is a predominance of funky ring tones - a couple disco, a Stevie Wonder (Superstition, I think), and even (not at all funky) The Macarena. It doesn't bother me - it cracks me up. I have to have a subtle, sort of slowly appearing (hearing?) ring tone or I jump every time. I recently switched from "New Slang" by the Shins, which slowly builds, sort of saying, "you know, you have a call, but it's no big deal, and really, you can just go on with whatever you're doing" to "Yellow Ledbetter" by Pearl Jam, which has been mistaken for The Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and "some guy who's practicing guitar". Yellow Ledbetter's opening notes sound like a guitar being played underwater at the South Pole. Perfect.

So anyway, here's the Abstract. The link to the whole paper is at the top. Just click on the title. Fun, huh?

Abstract
This essay attempts to provide a description of the global ringtone industry, to determine and assess the numerous cultural consequences of the ringtone’s appearance and development, and to situate the ringtone within the context of contemporary capitalism. At its broadest, my assertion is that the development of the ringtone is a powerful lens through which we might clearly view some of the dynamics of present day (or “late”) capitalist cultural production, including the development of new rentier economies within oligopolistic sectors of production and consumption, and a long–term shift in global productive dominance from North America to the Pacific Rim. The ringtone is also a remarkable cultural phenomenon that is demonstrating a high degree of popularity and is undergoing rapid transformation; therefore, its short, continuing lifetime already needs to be assessed historically.

2 comments:

Ludski said...

I LOATH people's dumb ass ring tones. EVEN YOUR'S!! I prefer the classic telephone ring or I have heard a duck quack. That is what I really would like. a duck quack.
tee hee.

Me said...

OH, I can get you a duck quack, no problem...