Friday, May 05, 2006

Pay ME Your Money Down

Pay me your money down indeed.

So I'm tasked with getting Springsteen tickets for the show I'm seeing in DC with Anna and the crew, b/c there is a 2-ticket limit for the pit - more hands are needed because the whole DC posse is going. It's not like a regular tour that will sell out in 10 minutes, but there is always that possibility, and it's the first onsale, so there is no history to judge by. One time when I was living in Florida I had 10 people on the phones at work (you know, government offices) and still only 1 person got through. That was the day we shut down the phone system at the Pentagon. Ah... good times. (Yes, Anna, the infamous show that you missed, let it go.... :-))

Anyway. So I cruise over to ticketbastard.com and see that there is a PRESALE for the Phoenix show, for Coyotes Club members, TODAY. So I think, after being really taken aback to see any kind of presale for Bruce, what is this club and do I know any members. And can I contact them before 10 and offer outrageous favors and perhaps even beg. Because I now want to be in the front row for the hootenanny, if indeed there are rows, and not just bales of hay separating the have-good-seats from the have-nots. Perhaps the club is a hockey thing that you get with season tickets. Maybe it's a skating club or education promotion thing.

But no. The Coyotes Club is for special seating and treatment at the venue. This club is so expensive that you have to contact an account manager and set up a payment plan, and then sign a promise to donate all your worldly goods upon your 70th birthday. And STILL the good seats are over $200. AND THEY'RE IN THE BACK.

This is the kind of club that if I knew someone that was a member, I would not even be talking to them any more. This is the kind of club that Bruce made fun of the people sitting there DURING the show, at the opening of the Staples Center in L.A. "Mr Staples, can I get better seats?" Yet ticketbastard says the club presale is at the discretion of the artist. Sigh.

So Mr Populist is taking the hootenanny tour to the rich. I read somewhere that this tour was perfect for the kind of folk that listen to NPR and donate to PBS and I thought, hmmm, curious. Those people generally do not like Bruce. The only way I would donate to PBS would be to make them stop Wayne Dyer's daughter from singing. But now I'm seeing the connection.

So I'm thinkin there won't be a lot of tickets sold during the presale. If I didn't know about it, chances are these rich bastards who will only go to people watch and will leave after 3 songs won't know either. And they'll be in the back anyway.

Still.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ask cynthia where she will be for the dc show (grin). party on wayne. party on garth.

Me said...

IN THE PIT thx to aNNa

goin to the hootenanny, it's a hoedown...

Thoughts and Ideas said...

"The only way I would donate to PBS is to get Wayne Dyers daughter not to sing". OH MY GOD-That's funny. I love Wayne Dyer but I haven't heard his daughter sing. Maybe its a good thing I don't watch tv and don't have cable...

Me said...

Uh, yeah, not watching tv frees you from a lot of torture.

Lara said...

So you hate PBS too?

I love America's Test Kitchen.

Me said...

Ah Lara. Never take me seriously. Look at how fickle I am. :-)