Saturday, May 06, 2006

Good new, bad news

Well, it's official. On the DVD for the Seeger Sessions Bruce closes with "It's a Hootenanny!" I thought I would fall off the couch. Yesterday was a Bruce-themed day beginning with trying to get the pit for DC on the cell phone while sailing down the HOV lane, and ending with watching the video with Fran. If you are a fan at all you have to watch the DVD because Loose Bruce is everywhere, including a long period of time he spends quite drunk, and drunk dancing. His 50s have done wonders for removing the corn cob from his butt ("I'm gonna do ... Joad again! I'm gonna do ... FOLK, yeah... in some fashion ... SEEGER, yeah, that's it! I'm gonna have some .... WINE, yeah yeah yeah ..."), although they have not improved his dancing. And there's nothing like watching a video like this with someone just as obsessed with details, here's Fran.. "Oh, that's his house... is that wall not painted? Is that his real cat? Who picked out that clock. Awww, they're outside! They WALK on that land. That's THEIR land. That's in Colts Neck. Patti is lighting candles! Look, they're putting on coats, long walk back to the main house..." Sorry Fran, but it is just too adorable.

So the good news is - Anna got the pit for DC so we are in. I got lame section 202 seats after being on hold for 20 minutes (which have already been cheerfully unloaded to Anna's boss...). So front row here we come... And I'm thinkin we should bring shot glasses for Himself.

But then, bad news came in the mail - got the bid from the electricians. I had thought the prior bid was for separating the panel and then rewiring the guesthouse. I thought that when I came home from work a week ago Weds that the 7-month wait for electric work would be over. Next step, plumber, then tile, then Jerome. Wrong!

Even though it was understand they would be doing both these jobs, here were separate bids and bills. I thought I read the bid, I swear I read the bid. I think I saw it through tears of relief that ended up just postponing the inevitable, that it really WAS going to be expensive, and that I needed a transition phase to get to that understanding. Because it is double. DOUBLE!

So it's up to over $5K for just the electric, which was the budget for the entire project. And what about getting other bids, you may ask. After spending 6 weeks at a time waiting for people to even call me back, just trying to get 3 bids... I would probably just GIVE someone the guesthouse if they said they would finish it... The electricians were wonderful, the new panel is bright and shiny, we're all gonna be in the newspaper. I'm not complaining, just sad because... no Jerome this year. Will take til the fall to get the plumbing and tile done now and it is getting hot hot hot.

It's a hootenanny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! so i wasn't the only one that noticed the house (and the cat, of course). the huge framed mirror over the couch looks just like the one in my old room at my mom's house.

relating too much to house issues. just about to drop another boatload of cash--this time for a new water heater. and home ownership is supposed to be the american dream!

Me said...

It's the american dream scam. The whole country depends on the fact that we have to buy stuff all the time, and employ service people. If we all rented the values would not increase and we wouldn't necessarily spread out, we would more likely build UP. Don't get me started.

You're still ahead on equity vs output, right? Just keep that as your mantra. ;-) But man, I really really hate putting out that much money. CAn you imagine the damage you could do in Europe with 5200 ?? Sigh.