Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Middle season

In Phoenix we have 4 seasons. Spring, uncontained trash, summer, and eggnog latte. Right now it's the middle season - uncontained trash. Uncontained trash here is like Indian summer back east. Everything is same old same old, but then for a few days the atmostphere changes before you head into the worst part of the year. The air smells like spring, it's crisp, and expectations are high. You feel unreasonably optimistic. Uncontained trash is just like that. You wander into the park or down an unmarked alley, knowing that things could change at any time, so you just stay in the moment.

It was supposed to be in the high 90s and it's 79 degrees. Big, fluffy clouds are floating through the sky. The lower park is filled from Sunday's irrigation, and all sorts of birds are wading and worming through the water. Even ducks. It is dog and duck heaven. And Bella, fully recovered after only 3 days, charged in after the smaller birds (she is terrified of ducks).

And I just scored my best uncontrained trash ever. Walked half a block down, watching the birds and the water, and suddenly - 3 wheelbarrows full of different kinds of marble tile. Black, green, travertine, tumbled, terracotta, everything!!! I made 2 trips in the car before I was too exhausted to carry any more. Translated into reality this much marble is worth about 6 backsplashes, or 2 murals.

And tomorrow the electricians are coming to start the guesthouse. AND the plumber is coming for an estimate. I'm in that sweet limbo between potential and broke ass.

Ah, sweet middle season.

8 comments:

Thoughts and Ideas said...

Hey you may be in limbo but what a find on the tile. It's one of those serendipity moments that says you were right where you should have been at that moment. I'm jealous but happy for you.
This morning I was waiting behind our trash truck to be done. The last stop there was this woman throwing stuff in the trash truck and she was throwing away broken mustard colored pates. Lots of them!!! If there hadn't been so many people out I would have gone after them...but it was too early, what a waste,,,Greg

blogedyblogblog said...

I love when stuff like that happens. I haven't had a serendipitous moment in a while...I'm due. But good for you!

Me said...

Gracias chica y chico.

I can't believe you let pride stand in the way of mustard color plates. Have I taught you nothing????

Lara said...

My new favorite term is 'something' ass (as in your post, broke ass).

I could say tired ass, which is what I am feeling right now.

I could also say tastes like ass, which describes the lasagna I had last night.

Lastly, I could say hot ass, which describes my new hair cut and color that I got this evening. ;)

Me said...

Hmmm, I thought hot ass was something completely different. :-)

But yeah, love the ___ ass. And I'll tell you what, after the plumber leaves next Thurs I will have reached an entirely new level of broke ass which may require even more new slang. ;-)

(ahhh... new slang )

Me said...

bloggey blog - every time your housekeeper shows up is that not a seredipitous moment ? ;-)

onna said...

Oh my God! That's like finding a treasure. How fun and lucky you! [pictures of the gorgeous loot? please???]

Me said...

Ha - you're funny - will have to take some in the morning. It's a pile.