Saturday, April 01, 2006

Old Dog Teaches New Trick

Bella turns 11 this month. (Deighv does too but he already gets too much attention.) She celebrated by coming up with a new trick.

About a year ago Bella decided that she needed to be lifted to the bed, that she was simply too tired, old, or bitchy to have to make that jump when it was nap time. Never mind that when I get home from work I can hear her jumping down, or even when I'm home but not looking she jumps up by herself.

In the middle of the night she hits the side of the bed with her paw - that is her signal to be diva'd. If I ignore her she gives the 'lift' bark. It is really annoying and not the best thing for insomnia. And yes, I tried ignoring her forever - but she keeps it up for at least 1/2 hour, gives up for a little while, and starts again. She hasn't heard of B.F. Skinner.

So I bought one of those doggy step things hoping that it would reduce the number of times she wakes me up. They're pretty cool - takes about 5 minutes to put together and has these little rubber pads on the bottom so it doesn't slide on a wood or tile floor. Sturdy, too, for just some pieces of interlocked plastic.

I put it by the bed and used treats and cajoling to get her to climb up - she had to be taught how to use a doggie door too - new things suck. She refused to do it. So I left it there, and tried ignoring her when she hit the bed or used the 'lift' bark, thinking she would figure it out eventually and climb up the steps.

Oh, no. Now, she climbs up to the second step and uses it for leverage to hit the bed harder and at a better angle. The only thing I can think of doing now is just putting the mattress on the floor. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Lara said...

The trick is to be smarter than our furried friends and often times, that's impossible.

The are resourceful if anything!