Sunday, August 20, 2006

Postcard to Manhattan

I forgot how much I love this film. Our movie group watched it last night, so thanks to Claudia for picking it. Every time I see it I see more stuff.

Even though this is Woody's least favorite of his own flicks, it's my favorite of his. It's not as artsy or substantial as Stardust Memories or well, 9/10 of his films, but it is also not as dated as Annie Hall, which really screams 70s. This one is timeless, helped by the fact that they pretty much wear classic clothes and hang out in NYC establishments that are still there. The characters are based on New Yorker stereotypes, it's almost like each one is an archetype; it still rings true.

Here is some trivia about Manhattan:

Woody was the first director to insist the film be released in letterbox style only, and actually sued a Swiss tv channel that broadcast it in pan and scan.

The same cinematographer, Gordon Willis, did the Godfather trilogy.

Woody actually did date a high school student who was the inspiration for Tracy in the film.

Andrew Sarris has said it is the only truly great American movie of the 70s, but then, he didn't include Apocalypse Now in his top 10 list for that year.

Co-writer Marshall Brickman also co-wrote Sleeper.

Woody and Diane Keaton made 9 movies together.

Favorite moment:
Why is life worth living? It's a very good question. Um... Well, There are certain things I guess that make it worthwhile. uh... Like what... okay... um... For me, uh... ooh... I would say... what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing... uh... um... and Wilie Mays... and um... the 2nd movement of the Jupiter Symphony... and um... Louis Armstrong, recording of Potato Head Blues... um... Swedish movies, naturally... Sentimental Education by Flaubert... uh... Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra... um... those incredible Apples and Pears by Cezanne... uh... the crabs at Sam Wo's... uh... Tracy's face...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed it last night! Thanks for the lovely postcard to the movie!

blogedyblogblog said...

I am glad that it is on another's top 10 list. I loved it even more this time around. It is so great when an old film still holds up!

Lara said...

Wow, the blog administrator removed a comment. That's always so ooooooooooh sounding. I hope no one trashed your movie. While I didn't love it. I appreciate all the things that you guys saw in it.

Me said...

It was spam.

If they trashed Manhattan we would just make fun of them.