Saturday, March 04, 2006

Guilty Pleasure Movies

Until I started going to the Oscars party at Claudia and Scott's, I didn't watch the show very often. Most of the time, the winning movies leave me baffled. Titanic? I don't think Titanic should have won any awards, even if there was one for "Most Water Wasted While Filming." The day after I saw Titanic I exorcised my demons by commandeering the overhead system at work and yelling "Jack! Rose! Jack! Rose!" into it until my boss came and took away my phone.

But watching them with a bunch of people who love them is an entirely different experience. In fact, Lara loves the Oscars so much she's not even going to the party, where there will be a 9 million-inch plasma HDTV and Haagen Dasz ice cream. She prefers instead to watch alone, so the various sarcastic comments and squeals of delight will not cause her to miss one inch of the 4,000 foot-long program. She will miss the happy dance by the winner of the pool, which will probably be Scott, because OH YES, there will be betting, and Scott is an Oscar savant.

So this post is in honor of Lara, whom we will miss because it is really fun to see her lose it when someone talks over the winner for Best Sound in a Foreign Science Fiction Short. See, Lara loves lists almost as much as she loves the Oscars.

So Lara, this list is for you.

Top 5 Guilty Pleasure Movies

1. Office Space
2. The Money Pit
3. Legends of the Fall
4. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
5. Hair

6 comments:

Lara said...

Why is Moulin Rouge a guilty pleasure movie? I would disagree. You can like it and not be ashamed.

Me said...

You're right. It's just very hard for me to admit the real ones. I'm am changing Moulin Rouge to Legends of the Fall. Please don't make me go any further. ;-)

Lara said...

I am still right. Legends of the Fall doesn't count.

Check out my blog for some real guilty pleasure movies.

Me said...

This is MY list, girlfriend, and I can be embarrassed by whatever I want. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ryan says:
office space is not a guilty pleasure...not another teen movie is a guilty pleasure. escape from new york is a guilty pleasure. office space is more like the modern bible.
cynthia says:
ok
cynthia says:
office space is not a guilty pleasure for YOU
cynthia says:
you should list those
cynthia says:
if i watch it over and over again and don't tell people, then it's my guilty pleasure
cynthia says:
Morningwood Apartments
cynthia says:
the "o" face
cynthia says:
not exactly high art
Ryan says:
you are simply wrong
cynthia says:
i can accept that
Ryan says:
ok
Ryan says:
i'm glad this didn't have to get ugly

Me said...

I am never using IM again.