Thursday, May 31, 2007

Geodesy Indwell Cyril Vampire

The only thing that drives me more nuts than getting spam with ridiculous subject lines is the horrible punctuation, formatting, and grammar that those same spam contain... The subject lines can be amusing - only one of those is a real word, right?? Who are they trolling for? Would someone go, "Oh cool, geodesy!" and quickly open this email? Or, "Maybe this is that vampire I met in Europe a few years back - Cyril - the one who lives in a dome. What's he up to?"

These messages typically contain pixelated graphics, multiple fonts and colors, and horrible grammar. And, let's say, imaginative punctuation. The worst offender in imaginary punctuation land is the use of apostrophes to indicate a plural. Or should I say, "apostrophe's"... "Get your prescription's here!" Didn't we learn this is an evil mistake as far back as second grade? Or am I just really lucky to have an English teacher as a mom??? Perhaps I just can't separate what I learned in school from the brainwashing I received at home. And I mean that in a good way, Mom. Maybe Mom knows what Cyril is doing.

So, if you are using spam to market a product, at least get your marketing emails right. I am not offended by spam so much as I am offended by ignorance and laziness. Don't even get me started on "your" versus "you're."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.