Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Apocalypse Wow

Now, I'm not going to get up on a soapbox and start talking about global warming, b/c this here is Entertainment Cartridges, not Scientific Cartridges, or Beware Cartridges. But we are having some weird ass weather in Phoenix.

Yesterday, on 6-6-06, we were revisited by the dreaded haboob. That's right, haboob. At least the morning disc jockeys had something to talk about besides American Idol. Haboobs are dust storms that kill an average of five people on Arizona roads every year. They can be miles-wide, and the dirt and debris can travel up to 50 mph and choke highways and blind motorists. Now, I'm not a believer in any kind of omen-y special dates, but I don't know what the haboob believes.

And now Sky Harbor International Airport has issued a full ground stop for the next 60 to 90 minutes, meaning no planes are landing or taking off. The National Weather Service says "this storm contains damaging winds, destructive hail and potentially deadly cloud-to-ground lightning". They suggest seeking shelter.

!!!! Ok, there are many things wrong with this.

1. It doesn't usually rain in June. The monsoons don't start til July.
2. HAIL? It's like 1200 degrees out there.
3. Telling Arizonans to take cover - this is the weirdest part, because these fricking people JOG when it's 115 degrees, ok? So this is some serious shit.

I was sitting here checking email when it became as dark as night. Things started blowing around like during Dorothy's entrance into Oz. I've only seen this one other time, when huge metal trash cans blew through the air. Take shelter? I'll go one better and become a Catholic.

Please, do not let the haboob blow my house away.

4 comments:

Lara said...

I am not getting rid of my highlander.

Haboob is funner to say than microburst (but wasn't it also one of those?)

I thought it was pretty cool.

Me said...

Sure, cool for you, you aren't one of the up to 5 a year. Why don't they just call it a dust storm?

And don't worry about getting rid of the SUV - no one else will take it anyway.

Thoughts and Ideas said...

Geez that was rough, I remember those glorious storms in Phx. Wind here in Jerome last night took down the rest of the large tree in our yard. Let me know when you convert to Catholicism, we'll have a habit party.

blogedyblogblog said...

Haboob, Haboob, Haboob. I just love saying it!