Saturday, November 22, 2008

Weirdest moments in the week

I'm not ashamed to say I get most of my news from Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow. It's the Mary Poppins method of news ingestion: just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down. But this week, I needed to follow up on the Cheney-Gonzales indictment Stewart announced b/c I just needed more details. I wasn't sure if he was joking about Cheney having business interests related to Guantanamo.

So I hop over to CNN.com, where not only is there no news on the front page, I do a search and there is no information anywhere. I had to do a general web search - it is there today, as I type, but it was not on the 20th. Apparently this was not news worthy, but it is good to find out that a zoo in Ohio just introduced 3 baby cheetahs. Sometimes, cheetahs do prosper. But I digress.

As many other news sources tell me, not only does the indictment allege that Cheney/Gonzales neglected prisoners and are responsible for assaults (read: torture), it also accuses Cheney as having a conflict of interest because of his influence over the county's federal immigrant detention center and his substantial holdings in the Vanguard Group, which invests in private prison companies.

Hello! This may be common news, but I did not know it. 58 days till CHANGE.

And in other, just general ick and weird happenings, I had to attend a meeting at the company for which I'm writing 5 courses, and it was cut short by the person who scheduled it so he could go to happy hour. That is not the ick part, I am totally down with that, and followed suit to my own. It seems he and his co-workers were celebrating the offers and bonuses they got from the company they are merging with. Still not the ick part. While they leaving to go to happy hour, and this was early in the afternoon, even for a Friday, the company laid off many, many, many people, who had just found out the same day, and were packing up and leaving the offices two floors down. The celebrants, WHO GOT BONUSES, did you get that.. were passing the redundants out the front door. STILL not the ickiest part though. One of the top dudes got a 20 mil golden parachute deal.

Will wait and see if they ask for bailout money. Still struggling with being an enabler to the ick.

What else can an instructional designer/writer do for a living? How can one completely leave corporate America without starving? Need suggestions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Celebrants versus Redundants!

Me said...

Still need suggestions!

Ludski said...

maybe in another country?
but I imagine it would then just be Corporate Andorra or wherever.
will let you know if I figure it out.

Me said...

Please do!