Friday, September 07, 2007

Quote of the Week, sorta



"If they told me at the outset the iPhone would be $200 cheaper the next day, I would have thought about it for a second — and still bought it," said Andrew Brin, a 47-year-old addiction therapist in Los Angeles. "It was $600 and that was the price I was willing to pay for it."

Note the speaker's job title. I'm sure he's very effective with his patients, got a major empathy streak.

As you may have heard, Apple got an ass-wuppin from 'early adopters' who somehow did not anticipate the price drop. Sure, it dropped REALLY fast, but hey, Christmas is coming. How many times does this have to happen before people realize they are paying a price for requiring a status symbol? How embarrassing to ask for a refund, which Jobs is offering to appease the pissed-off proletariat. Is there a refund for stupidity?

Sure, it's pretty and oh so revolutionary. It about killed me when I first saw it. And as my bud Kevin pointed out, I have a blind spot for Apple, as if they were really not a major corporation... I like good design, so sue me. But I know better than to buy buggy new stuff that other people will want to touch and probably scratch the screen. :-) Like the Beetle - between when I first wanted one (new Beetle - otherwise, 1975) and got one, the price dropped $9K, around 2 years later. Do these people not realize this will happen?

Movies come to DVD in 3 months now. Brand new technology drops within 6. If you want something the day it comes out, you are going to pay more. It's a rule.

4 comments:

dwil said...

Did someone mention the iPod touch! I need one of those. I want to see a post about that lusting...

Robert Donat said...

Well duh. Those people are "dumb" for buying it the day it came out and are now complaining. To hell with them!

Lara said...

DUH again.

The iPod touch is AMAZING.

I will still wait.

Me said...

It is amazing. And only 8.5 months after I got my video ipod. :-(