Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Antonioni: 1912-2007



Ingmar Bergman is a lot more famous in the States than Michelangelo Antonioni, and there will probably be more film compilations on the movie channels for Bergman. Antonioni is not quite as accessible, but with a similar view to depicting alienation as one of the hallmark human conditions. Existential angst and death as a companion, or at least as a motivator towards living in the moment, were central themes for both, but Antonioni was a bit more fascinated with modern themes, even 'hip' people, and was not very well understood at the beginning of his career. His lack of dialogue and action was a bit too distancing for mainstream audiences, and he never had a film win an academy award, although he did get an achievement award here.

But Blow Up is always on my top ten list no matter how many new wonderful films I see. I had it on beta, I had it on VHS, I have it on DVD. And yeah, it's distant and cerebral, but it also magically captures a moment in time - mid 60s London - and was the first (that I know of) to show the dark side of the free love movement without being a bit hysterical and judgmental. I think it's riveting.

So weird that they went on the same day. So lucky for us that they both lived so long and produced so much.

No comments: