Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Criterion Contraption - click on title

There is an excellent new blog by a guy called Matthew Dessen. He's reviewing all the films in the Criterion Collection, which is quite a feat. The Criterion Collection is a great list if you're wanting to see old, classic, or just great flicks. Way better than the AFI top 100, which is actually quite embarrassing for what they include AND for what they leave out.

And he's a great and astute reviewer - he's seen so many things in Rushmore I will have to watch it yet again... sigh... And it's probably the only review so far that includes a mention of David Foster Wallace - check it out:

"When you get past the extraneous bullshit surrounding Anderson's films, the crux of disagreements about him reminds me of disagreements over David Foster Wallace (or Dave Eggers, or Thomas Pynchon, or even Vladimir Nabokov). It comes down to this: Are Anderson's stylistic tricks and distracting plot elements smoke and mirrors, or do they bring something unique to the stories he's telling?1 In the case of Rushmore, I think the answer has to be the latter."

And if you're a Rushmore fan, he's right - the DVD extras are some of the best I've ever seen, and include Wes' versions of Armageddon, The Truman Show, and Out of Sight performed on the 1999 MTV Movie Awards featuring the "Rushmore Players" directed by Max Fisher - seriously the funniest satire I have ever seen, or else the only satire involving Max Fisher.

And grant me one final note about Rushmore - I just watched it again the other night with a Rushmore virgin - is the Albert Markovski character in I Heart Huckabees not Max Fisher at 21? I'm not saying that Jason Schwartzman cannot play more than one character - I'm saying that it's an inside joke and that Max is now having a major bout with existential angst - just the next step in his 'coming of age' drama. Check out this pic:



You rock, rock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always motivated by you, your thoughts and way of thinking, again, thanks for this nice post.

- Norman

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.